July 23, 2010

Keane & Bale Score Against an Ex-Gooner and His New Friends.

   The Barclay's New York Challenge, game 1 featuring the mighty Tottenham Hotspur against their rivals across the pond, the New York Red Bulls. In other words, Spurs' 3rd pre-season game.

Spurs' line-up: Cudicini, Hutton, Corluca, Walker, Bale, Naughton, Jenas, Huddlestone, Modric, Krancjar, and Keane.

Red Bull's line-up: Thierry Henry and 11 other guys.

   Last game against San Jose, the new home kit was introduced. I like it quite a bit. I don't know what Autonomy is, and their logo isn't the greatest, so I may see what the second sponsor is before I buy. Against New York, Tottenham brought out their new, ugly away kit. If Puma need to have all these random lines and bars, they should just design the kit to look like Tron, then it'd be cool.

See...

 
The glowy parts could be reserved for Championship League games.

   Blue on white at home, and white on blue away. I'd buy the full kit of both and wear them to work. Think on it, Puma.

   The commentary was much better, aside from more pronunciation issues: Modric was Moe-drich, I heard mention of Austin Villa, and Spurs apparently play at White Hart. I'm sure these guy's do a serviceable job for MLS coverage, but it's painfully obvious that, while being aware of the players and the league, they are definitely not familiar. This is evidenced by the assertion that this was, "a big important game". Give me a break.
   It wasn't a big important game, it was a training knock-about. There were a few flurries of excitement (mostly provided by Henry in the first half) starting with a shot by Jenas in the 40th second of the match.
   Well, let's get the Henry issue out of the way. For starters, it was good to hear the boos every time he got a touch. In any other game, I wouldn't care, but any ex-Gooner should expect to be booed when playing Spurs. Honestly, I think Henry has been one of the best players I've seen. I enjoyed watching his couple of games with Barca, and hopes he lifts the Red Bulls and MLS by his presence. But, as I watched him have a chance in the 7th minute, and then score in the 25th, the old disgust took hold.
   As in days gone by, I don't think the disgust is as much for Henry as much as it is for our shambles of a defense, and the fact we don't have an Henry of our own. Granted, we weren't playing our preferred starters, but it remains the constant worry. Corluca looked shaky as ever. If not for Cudicini, they'd had a few more. Carlo's not 100%, but he's decent back-up. I'll feel even more assured if we land Pletikosa from Moscow.
   In the 13th minute, MLS exposed the gap between their league's best in mid-season form, and Premiership players on holiday. The striker paired with Henry, Stanler, received the ball behind the defense in front of an open goal. Instead of shooting and easily scoring, he simply ran right past the ball toward the goal line. Simply amazing.
   Jenas had flashes, as did Modric and, of course, Bale was a one man team up the left. I'm getting his number on my kit (when I buy it), and if he keeps improving and delighting, I'll wear leeks in my hat and celebrate St. David's Day every year.
   Just one minute after Henry scored in his debut against us, Modric came very close to equalizing. His shot went just wide, but three minutes later Keane had his chance...to no avail.

Half Time Changes: Taarabt on for Corluca, and Townsend on for Naughton.

   I'm glad to see Taarabt get a run out. We've had these supposedly fantastic players languishing in the reserves, but now we need to bolster our squad for the Champion's League campaign ahead. We either have to use these guys, or sell them and buy people who the manager isn't afraid to put on the squad sheet.
   Townsend really impressed the last match, but was quieter today. Fine, but quiet. Naughton, on the other hand, has been completely anonymous. In two matches, his name was not mentioned once, nor did I recall seeing him on the ball.
   One thing I noticed was the amazing amount of dirt being kicked up every time a player kicked the ball. It was like watching Pigpen play soccer.
   In the 59th minute, I took this note: "Keane's lost his touch. He had an easy chance, had he taken the shot on his left, or chipped the keeper (who was sliding)." Three minutes later he scores a goal. What do I know? I know Keane's lost his touch, and scores a soft goal off a goalie mistake. He should've had 3 goals in these last two games. We'll see, it's still early days, and Keano's a notorious late starter.
   The 70th minute saw Danny "that goal" Rose come on for Kranjcar. Two minutes later, Bale punctuated his night's performance with a nice little poached goal from a defender's poor back header intended for the keeper.
   Mason came on for Modric in the 76th minute. The game ended with New York, particularly Kandji, attacking and having several chances 10 minutes before time. 2-1 to Spurs at full time, and Bob's your uncle.
   One point of interest (a generous term) I heard at half time was that Helder Postiga (remember him?) scored against Celtic on Wednesday. Sporting lost anyway.

The Texan's man of the match: Gareth Bale

No comments:

Post a Comment